Case Study: Epec Engineering
Solution: NetSuite ERP
Industry: Electronics Manufacturing
Location: New Bedford, Mass.
"We use NetSuite for a competitive advantage over competitors who still do things the old way with spreadsheets and disparate applications. We run our entire business through NetSuite, from design to manufacturing to managing vendors in Asia." Epec Engineered Technologies
- A leading designer and manufacturer of custom products for the electronics industry founded in 1952, Epec Engineered Technologies has increased its revenue 1.6x since going live on NetSuite in 2007
- NetSuite scaled with Epec as the company expanded its base of 5,000 customers around the world, including GE, Honeywell, Philips, Raytheon and Northrop Grumman.
- NetSuite provides an end-to-end design, manufacturing and business solution for Epec’s production of custom-built printed circuit boards, battery packs, flex and rigid-flex circuits, user interface products, electronic fans & motors, cable assemblies, and other build-to-print electronics
- Rich customizability enables Epec to tailor workflows and business processes for custom manufacturing, with work queues accessed by globally distributed engineering and production personnel for 24/7 efficiency Epec has extended direct NetSuite usage to four contract manufacturers in China, with third-party personnel updating work-in-progress information in NetSuite daily for visibility by headquarters
- Contract manufacturer's use of NetSuite allowed Epec to repurpose four full-time personnel who previously did work now handled by the third-party partners
- Two dozen other Asian manufacturers use NetSuite indirectly, receiving work orders through the system and communicating status back via email
- NetSuite manufacturing capabilities including bills of materials inquiries, components where used inquiries and MRP by assemblies increasingly used for greater control over production
- NetSuite supplies a standardized, on-demand environment utilized by all 120 Epec employees across headquarters and locations in China (with 30 personnel), the U.K., Colorado and Florida
- Since going live on NetSuite, Epec's daily quotes have nearly doubled to 75 with no additional staff required because of streamlined quote-to-cash processes
- NetSuite's cloud infrastructure has enabled Epec to readily onboard roughly 10 acquired companies, supporting anywhere, anytime work for new personnel
- NetSuite helps Epec run its fan and motor unit in the U.K. and user interface unit in Florida as separate business entities, with financials rolling up to headquarters
- Integration of Box as a cloud storage solution inside of Netsuite allows one interface for all transactions, reducing the number of steps to perform every transaction and keeping all documentation for every transaction inside of one record
- Epec sales force uses NetSuite CRM for a consolidated view of customer interactions, improving sales effectiveness and responsiveness to customer needs Marketing automation allows Epec to target the correct customers and make sure that they have the latest technological developments in the industry.
Previous Epicor Vantage on-premise solution lacked deep customizability and presented problems with needless manual work and remote access
Epec struggled to create custom forms, workflows, dashboards and reports that are crucial to running its business
Epec had difficulty integrating several manufacturing locations in Asia to get real time data on order status and production location
- Epec selected NetSuite over SAP and Microsoft Dynamics GP as a scalable, configurable cloud solution that could enable lean and agile execution across the globe
- Epec utilizes a configure-price-quote (CPQ) rules engine from NetSuite partner Selectica to offer customers online ordering of custom circuit boards, integrated with NetSuite via web services
- Automated CPQ workflow eliminates about 10 manual steps for Epec, enabling the company to keep its prices low and winning a "Selectica Superstar" customer award
- Complementary solutions from NetSuite partners Box for document management and Pardot for marketing automation round out Epec's high-performance cloud business environment.